Home>Canadian Immigration>Temporary Residence
Temporary Residence 2018-02-09T20:05:02+00:00

Temporary Residence

Visitor Visa

Study Permit

Work Permit

Temporary Resident Permit

Caregivers Pathway

Parent/Grandparent Supervisa

International Experience Canada

Extending your stay

Whether you choose to come to Canada as a tourist, temporary worker, student TEMPORARY RESIDENCEor would like to travel for business matters, there are several programs offered by the Canadian Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration to provide you with an appropriate type of visa. All programs are different and have their own special requirements and specific privileges.

Before coming to Canada visitors must apply for temporary admission to Canada through the Canadian Visa Mission in the country of their nationality or permanent residence. If you have been legally staying in a country different from the country of your citizenship or permanent residence for at least 12 months, you are allowed to apply through the Canadian Visa Mission of this country.

Citizens of certain countries are exempt from obtaining an entry visa to Canada through Canadian overseas Visa Missions and can seek admission to Canada at the port of their entry.

If you are a visa-exempt foreign national, starting from March 15, 2016, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to be admitted to or transit through Canada.

For more information on eTAs, please refer to the website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or contact us to learn how to apply for eTA.

Visitor Visa

Citizens of certain countries and territories need a temporary resident visa (TRV) to visit Canada for a temporary purpose such as:

  • tourism,
  • a visit with family or friends, or
  • a business trip.

Temporary Resident`s Visa can be issued on either single entry basis or a multiple-entry basis. In case an Applicant is seeking a multiple-entry visa to Canada, he or she must substantiate such need.

To visit Canada, you must:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties to your home country,
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • have enough money for your stay.

You may also need a:

  • temporary resident (visitor) visa, depending on your citizenship,
  • medical exam and
  • letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.

Immigration officials at the Canadian borders, whether airports, ports or land, will usually determine the length of your stay in Canada and will stamp your passport with the admission stamp.  The maximum stay in the country a visitor might receive at the port of entry is 6 ( six) months.

If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must apply to do so 30 days before your status expires.

Holders of TRV in most cases are not allowed to engage into employment or studies in Canada without a permit. 

Study Permit

The Canadian school system is one of the best in the world. Every year about 200,000 international students come to Canada to obtain a globally respected education. Moderate tuition and living fees, as well as a safe and friendly environment make Canada an even more attractive destination for students of all ages and backgrounds from all over the world.

According to Statistics Canada, “In December 2015 there were 353,000 international students with a valid study permit in Canada, up from 84,000 in December 1995. Of the international students admitted to Canada in the early 2000s, 25% became permanent residents over the 10 years that followed. Of these, nearly one-half applied as principal applicants in the economic class.”

In most cases, prospective international students have to apply for a study permit through a Canadian Visa Mission of the country of their residence.

Students that have been accepted to a professional program at a designated learning institution upon already completing a course of study in Canada (which was a stated prerequisite for admission to the selected program) can apply for a study permit from within Canada.

Note: You do not require a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less.


1. Find a School and get accepted by it for a program of study:

According to the rules introduced on June 1, 2014, only international students admitted for studies at a designated learning institution are eligible to apply for a study permit.

2. Meet eligibility requirements for a Study Permit:

  • Be accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada;
  • Prove that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation for yourself and any family members if they accompany you to Canada;
  • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record;
  • Show that you are in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary;
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

3. Apply for a Study Permit.

Jane Katkova & Associates handles all types of applications for Study Permits in Canada. We will be happy to assist you in choosing the educational institution, preparing the application for a Study Permit and ensuring that your application is complete with all the information and documentation necessary.

4. Come to study to Canada after your application for a Study Permit is approved.

International students can work while studying in Canada and get a temporary work permit in Canada after graduation.

Studies and subsequent work experience in Canada upon graduation may become your pathway to Canadian Permanent Residency. Check your prospects for applying for Canadian immigration through Canadian Experience Class on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website, or contact us to schedule a consultation with an authorized associate.

Work Permit

To work in Canada a person needs to have an open or LMIA-based work permit.

Check if you are eligible for an open work permit.

Foreign skilled workers, who have a temporary offer of employment from a Canadian employer approved by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), are required to obtain a Temporary Work Permit from prior to arriving to Canada and engaging in work for a Canadian employer.
In most cases, obtaining a Canadian Work Permit is a two-step process:

  1. The Canadian employer must receive validation of the job offer they have extended to a foreign worker from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (replacing the Labor Market Opinion) is a document that an employer in Canada must usually get before hiring a foreign worker. When applying for LMIA, the Canadian employer must demonstrate an extensive effort made to hire from the local labor market and that no Canadian worker can do the job as well as ensure that the foreign worker will be remunerated in compliance with the existing provincial wage standards. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a Confirmation letter.
  2. Once a positive LMIA is received by the Canadian employer, the application for the Work Permit must be brought to the Canadian Visa Mission of the country of residence of the applicant. If the prospective foreign worker is granted the Work Permit, he or she will have to undergo medical examination. Furthermore, citizens of countries which are exempt from certain Canadian visa requirements may seek the issuance of their Work Permit at the ports of entry to Canada instead of the Canadian Visa Missions overseas.

Depending upon the country of citizenship of a foreign worker, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also need to be obtained in order to enter Canada.
A Temporary Work Permit can be issued for a period of up to four years.

If the foreign worker in Canada finds different employment, they must apply for a new Work Permit.

However, a Temporary Work Permit may open the door to Canadian Permanent Residency. A foreign worker in possession of a Canadian work permit may qualify for Canadian immigration (Permanent Residency) under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), through a Skilled Worker category, or through one of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP).

In some cases, a foreign person who is going to work temporarily in Canada can be issued “Open” Work Permits, which are not employer-specific.
You must not work for an ineligible employer who have had a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) revoked or suspended.

There are certain occupations which are exempt from the requirement for obtaining ESDC validation for the job offer extended by the Canadian employer.

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) provides an opportunity for certain citizens of the United States and Mexico to apply for a Work Permit in Canada without having to seek ESDC validation. If you would like to learn more about coming to Canada to work under NAFTA, please visit our NAFTA web page.

Should a foreign worker in Canada decide to change his or her Canadian employer, and as long as a validation of the new employer`s job offer is received, the conditions of the Work Permit can be changed without leaving Canada and through the Canadian Immigration Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

Jane Katkova & Associates handles all types of applications for Work Permits and obtaining LMIA from ESDC. If you are a Canadian employer who wishes to hire a foreign worker or a foreign worker who has been found by a Canadian employer and wishes to obtain a Work Permit, we will carry out every step of your case. We will define a strategy for your case beginning from finding a NOC (National Occupation Classification) most suitable in your specific situation to filing applications for LMIA and presenting your case to the ESDC. We will further assist the foreign worker with preparation of a Work Permit application package. We will advise you on all other issues pertaining to the permit and answer all of your questions that may arise in the course of working with your case.

Please contact us for an assessment of your eligibility to apply under this program.

Temporary Resident Permit

If you are otherwise inadmissible but have a reason to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issued a temporary resident permit.

A permit is usually issued for the length of your visit to Canada—for example, one week to attend a conference. You must leave Canada by the expiry date of the permit, or get a new permit before your current one expires.

If you are a citizen of a visa exempt country, and are refused an eTA, you may be issued a temporary resident permit depending on the nature and circumstances of the inadmissibility and the continuing rationale for travel.

You should submit an application for a temporary resident visa along with supporting documents to explain why you are inadmissible and why it may be justified for you to enter Canada.

Please contact us for an assessment of your eligibility to apply under this program.

Caregiver Program

The Caregiver Program, previously known as the Live-in Caregiver Program, allows professional caregivers to work in Canada for up to 4 years. Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to work without supervision in a private household providing care for children, elderly, people with disabilities and/or high medical needs.

Employment and Social Development Canada has always acknowledged the shortage of caregivers in this country, thus providing an opportunity for Canadian families to hire foreign caregivers to care for their loved ones.

One of the reasons for the program’s high popularity was the direct pathway to permanent residence that it offers for foreign caregivers and subsequently for their families upon completion of 2 years of full-time work in Canada.

This decades’ old immigration program has recently seen significant changes wherein Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has introduced 2 new streams in addition to the existing live-in caregiver program.
One of the main changes was the lifting of the ‘live-in’ condition, which was a mandatory requirement under the old program. Following the changes implemented in the Temporary Foreign Worker Program as of November 30, 2014, caregivers are no longer obligated to reside in their employers’ dwellings.
Another significant change introduced in November 2014 was the annual cap of 2,750 applications accepted under each of the streams. This change was implemented due to a huge back log of almost 60,000 applications that have been sitting in the processing pipeline for the past few years.
The new Caregiver Program, as implemented for Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications received by Service Canada after November 30, 2014, will be delivered in two streams:

  • Caring for Children (under 18 years of age)
  • Caring for People with High Medical Needs

In addition, the current Live-in Caregiver Program will remain in effect for all live-in caregivers who:

  • Currently are employed under an LMIA received by Service Canada prior to November 30, 2014;
  • Applied for the initial work permit under an approved LMIA received by Service Canada prior to November 30, 2014;
  • Complete the work requirement of the Live-in Caregiver Program.

‘Caring for Children (under 18 years of age)’ Stream

To qualify for Permanent Residence under this stream you must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete 3,900 hours of authorized full-time work within four years from the time of arrival in Canada as a home child care provider (NOC 4411);
  • Demonstrate the Canadian Language Benchmark 5 as verified by the results of a designated third-party language test;
  • Complete a Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least one year, or an equivalent foreign credential supported by a designated third-party Educational Credential Assessment.

‘Caring for People with High Medical Needs’ Stream

To qualify for permanent residence under this stream you must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete 3,900 hours of authorized full-time work within four years from the time of arrival in Canada providing in-home or health facility care to persons with disabilities, chronic disease, or elderly people above 65 years of age as a registered nurse, registered psychiatric nurse, a licensed practical nurse, a nurse aide, a patient service associate or a home support worker;
  • Be licensed to practice in Canada, if applicable (for nursing occupations);
  • If applying as a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse, you must satisfy the Canadian Language Benchmark 7 as supported by the results of a designated third-party language test;
  • If applying in any other qualifying occupation, you must satisfy the Canadian Language Benchmark 5 as supported by the results of a designated third-party language test;
  • Complete a Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least one year, or an equivalent foreign credential supported by a designated third-party Educational Credential Assessment.

To be eligible under this stream, the Temporary Foreign Worker must demonstrate that they performed two-years of duties in Canada, as described in one of the following National Occupational Classifications:

  • Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (NOC 3012)
  • Licensed practical nurses (NOC 3233)
  • Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 3413)
  • Home support workers and related occupations, but not Housekeepers and related occupations (NOC 4412)

We have assisted hundreds of caregivers in becoming Canadian Permanent Residents upon meeting the program requirements. We will be glad to be of assistance to your specific situation. Please contact us for an assessment of your eligibility to apply under this program.

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa Program

The Super Visa Program allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada as long-term visitors. Successful applicants will receive long-term, multiple-entry visas and an extended authorized stay for a period of up to two years.

In addition to the usual temporary residence requirements (where the applicant must satisfy a Canadian immigration official that they will willingly leave the country at the end of their authorized stay, that they have sufficient ties to their home country such as a job, family or property, and, finally, that they have sufficient funds available to support themselves for the length of their stay in Canada), an applicant must:

  • Provide a Letter of Invitation from a child or grandchild residing in Canada;
  • Provide proof they are the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
  • Provide Canadian sponsor’s proof of minimum income requirements;
  • Obtain medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is valid for at least one year, providing a minimum coverage of $100,000 for health care, hospitalization, and repatriation;
  • Undergo a medical examination.

The holders of a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa have the rights and restrictions of a regular tourist visa holder, and as such cannot work or study while they are in Canada.

International Experience Canada

International Experience Canada (IEC) provides young individuals with an opportunity to travel and work in Canada. IEC is available in countries and territories that have a bilateral youth mobility agreement with Canada. If your country of citizenship does not have an agreement with Canada, you may be able to use a Recognized Organization to come to Canada under IEC.

The IEC program is composed of three categories:

  • Working Holiday, where the participants can receive an open work permit, valid for one to two years.
  • Young Professionals, where the participants can gain valuable international experience by working for a Canadian company. A signed job offer letter or contract of employment with a Canadian employer related to the applicant’s professional development is required before applying. The job offered must be classified as a National Occupation Code (NOC) Skill Type Level 0, A, or B.
  • International Co-op program allows participants who are enrolled at a post-secondary institution in their country of citizenship to spend a period of time interning for Canadian companies. Participants must arrange co-op placements with Canadian employers before applying. Applicants must be registered students for the duration of the internship.

If you want to travel and work temporarily in Canada as part of International Experience Canada (IEC), your first step is to become a candidate in one or more IEC pools.

If you are eligible:

  • you will be placed in the pools for which you are eligible, along with other eligible candidates, and
  • if you receive an Invitation to Apply, you can then apply for a work permit.

While some countries limit participation to persons between the ages of 18 and 29 or 30 years, Canadian citizens and foreign nationals aged 18 to 35 can participate.

Please contact us for an assessment of your eligibility to apply under this program.

Extending your stay

If you are planning to stay beyond the validity of your current visa/permit, you should apply for the extension of your status at least 30 days prior to its expiration.

Renew your Visitor Record

If your current temporary resident status as a visitor is still valid, you can apply for an extension of your stay. Your original temporary status as a visitor continues under the implied status until your application is finalized and you have been notified of the decision.

With your application you must explain the reason for the extension of your stay as well as prove that you can support yourself financially during your stay.

Renew or Change conditions of your Study Permit

If your Study Permit will expire before you complete your academic program, you will need to renew your Study Permit.

If your status has expired before the IRCC has processed your application, you may continue to study until decision on your application is reached under the implied status. Implied status allows you to continue studying according to the conditions of your expired Study Permit while you are waiting for your Study Permit renewal to be processed.

If your Study Permit is still valid but you need to change institutions, level of study, or type of program, you will need to apply for a change of the status of your permit.

Please note if you are changing the status of your Study Permit, you should do so immediately upon receiving confirmation of the admission to the new program, regardless of how much time remains on your current Study Permit.

If you lose your status in Canada by failing to comply with the conditions of your  permit, you may apply for a restoration of status within 90 days of losing such status.

canadian immigration experts logo

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list receive updates and for a chance to WIN A FREE 30 MINUTES CONSULTATION.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest