COVID-19 has had a significant impact on all areas of the Canadian immigration law. Today, we’d like to tell you about one way it has affected Work Permit applications.

If you are on an employer-specific Work Permit and you want to change employers, you must apply in-Canada for a new Work Permit.

However, you can start working for the new employer without waiting for approval of your new Work Permit. There are a few things you need to do for that.

You need to apply for a new Work Permit (if necessary, based on a new LMIA) and get a letter confirming your application.

After that, you need to request IRCC for an exemption from certain requirements using the web-form and following a specific template. Within 10 business days, you will receive an email with a decision on your exemption request.

If the decision is positive, this letter is your authorization to work until your new Work Permit is approved. Enjoy your new work!

#immigrationnews #immigrationcanada #workincanada