Home>Work Permit Canada>Employer Requirements
Employer Requirements 2018-08-22T18:04:43+00:00

Employer Requirements

High Skilled

Low Skilled

LMIA Exempt

High Skilled

  • Municipal/provincial/territorial/ business license;
  • Business registration or legal incorporation documents;
  • Employment contract;
  • a formal letter from a legal business confirming the existence of a contract for a good and/or service with the employer applying for an LMIA;
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) documents (T2 Schedule 100 Balance Sheet Information and T2 Schedule 125 Income Statement Information) for the most recent 2 years;
  • Good standing for service in Canada and good financial standing attestation by a lawyer/notary public or chartered accountant;
  • Commercial lease agreement of the physical presence of the company;
  • Provincial/territorial workplace safety and insurance (e.g. workers compensation board) clearance letter;
  • Transition Plans for high-wage positions;
  • Proof of advertising of recruitment efforts (e.g. Job Bank records, newspaper ads) for a minimum of 4 consecutive weeks, 3 months prior to submission;
  • Offer the posted prevailing wage for the employee;
  • Must be in compliance with previous undertakings of Temporary Foreign Workers;
  • Application fee – $1,000.

Low Skilled

LMIA Exempt

Pay the employer compliance fee of $230;

The following types of workers are exempt from an LMIA, but need a work permit:

  • Workers covered under international agreements (professionals, traders, and investors)
  • People taking part in exchange programs (youth exchange programs, teacher exchange programs, and other joint programs);
  • Accompanying spouses;
  • Workers who are eligible for a work permit through a federal-provincial/territorial agreement;
  • Workers nominated by a province or territory for permanent residence;
  • People already working in Canada who have applied for permanent residence through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program or Canadian Experience Class;
  • Repair personnel for industrial or commercial equipment;
  • Workers transferred within a company;
  • Academics;
  • Co-op students;
  • Religious workers;
  • Workers who are essential to a television or film production;
  • Performers or workers in a related job in dance (such as ballet and contemporary), opera, orchestral music or live theatre whose employer must:
    • be a Canadian non-profit performing arts company or organization;
    • receive federal funding, and
    • show that reciprocal opportunities exist for Canadians and permanent residents abroad in the same discipline.

Read more about work permit Canada.

canadian immigration experts logo

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list receive updates and for a chance to WIN A FREE 30 MINUTES CONSULTATION.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest