Québec Business Immigration
Québec welcomes business professionals with the skills, experience, and desire to positively contribute to its economic development and prosperity. There are three immigration programs to choose from – Entrepreneur, Investor, or Self-Employed Worker – that may grant an immigration opportunity to applicants seeking to build, acquire, or invest in a business based in Québec, or candidates hoping to establish self-employment in a trade or profession.
The Entrepreneur Program is one of three immigration programs for business people launched by the Province of Québec. To be eligible to apply under this program, a candidate is required to:
- Prove net assets of minimum $300,000 CDN obtained with the married or common-law spouse of the candidate if they will be accompanying them to Canada;
- Demonstrate two years of full-time managerial experience in operating a profitable business alone or with an accompanying married or common-law spouse. The business in question must have been acquired within the five years preceding the application date, wherein the applicant held minimum 25% equity during the stated period;
- Submit a business project proposing to initiate or acquire a business in Québec in which 25% of capital equity valued at $100,000 CDN or more will be controlled solely by the applicant or with the accompanying married or common-law spouse, if applicable; OR,
- Acquire 25% or more of capital equity with a value of $100,000 CDN or more in an existing business in the province and participate in its daily management.
An exploratory trip to Québec may be of great value for candidates hoping to receive the Québec nomination under the Entrepreneur Program. A trip can help a potential applicant to gain an understanding of the local business landscape, the steps necessary to implement a business, and better prepare them for the presentation of their final business project to an immigration officer during the selection interview.
There are important conditions imposed onto the applicants under this program with which they must comply for at least one year out of three after becoming a permanent resident:
- Start or acquire a business in Québec and hold no less than 25% of its capital equity valued at $100,000 CAD or more that will employ a Québec resident for 30 hours per week or more;
- Manage and operate the business on day-to-day basis.
The Investor Program is one of three immigration programs for business people launched by the Province of Québec. To be eligible to apply under this program, a candidate is required to:
- Have net assets of $1,600,000 CDN or more, either alone or combined with an accompanying or de facto spouse, if applicable. The assets must have been obtained lawfully obtained;
- Demonstrate, at minimum, two years of managerial experience in a farming, commercial/industrial or legal business, or managerial experience through employment with an international agency or government or its related entity;
- Show intent to reside in Québec;
- Invest $800,000 CDN for a five-year term with a financial intermediary from the Investor Program, to be returned without interest at the conclusion of the term.
Self-Employed Worker Program
To meet the eligibility criteria and apply for a Québec nomination as a Self-Employed Worker, the candidate is required to:
- Create their own job in Québec in their profession or trade;
- Show net assets of $100,000 CDN or more;
Demonstrate two years of experience or more as a self-employed worker in the same profession or trade that the candidate intends to practice in the province.
For more detailed information on the program requirements and application process please refer to Québec Immigration website.