Study Permit Canada

The Canadian school system is one of the best in the world. Every year about 200,000 international students come to Canada to obtain a globally respected education. Moderate tuition and living fees, as well as a safe and friendly environment, make Canada an even more attractive destination for students of all ages and backgrounds from all over the world.

In most cases, prospective international students have to apply for a study permit through a Canadian Visa Mission of the country of their residence. The study permit serves as your visa for the duration of your stay in Canada.

Students that have been accepted to a professional program at a designated learning institution upon already completing a course of study in Canada (which was a stated prerequisite for admission to the selected program) can apply for a study permit from within Canada.

If your program is less than six months in duration, you do not need a study permit. However, we recommend you to get one in any case, because you might decide to continue your studies after the 6-months period.

If you do not do that and decide to study at another program while you are in Canada, you will first have to leave Canada and apply through a visa office in your home country.

Once a Canadian study permit is obtained, you can renew it while you are in Canada. If you are a full-time student at an accredited higher education institution, you are entitled for part-time work on campus.

The other options which might be available for you are working off campus, working as a co-op student, as an intern. You may also seek ways to obtain Canadian permanent residence or find work after you graduate.

Study permit Canada


  1. Find a School and get accepted by it for a program of study:

    The first thing that needs to be done is you need to obtain a letter of acceptance from an accredited higher education institution in Canada. This is an obligatory requirement before you apply for a study permit.

    This can be done online by printing a form, or you may request a document from your college/university, which will provide guidance on how to do it properly.

    According to the rules introduced on June 1, 2014, only international students admitted for studies at a designated learning institution are eligible to apply for a study permit.

  2. Meet eligibility requirements for a Study Permit in Canada:

    • Be accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada;
    • Prove that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation for yourself and any family members if they accompany you to Canada;
    • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record;
    • Show that you are in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary;
    • Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
  3. Apply for a Study Permit.

    Jane Katkova & Associates handles all types of applications for Study Permits in Canada. We will be happy to assist you in choosing the educational institution, preparing the application for a Study Permit and ensuring that your application is complete with all the information and documentation necessary. In some cases, you might be also required to obtain a temporary resident visa if you originate from a designated country.

  4. Come to study in Canada after your application for a Study Permit is approved.

    International students can work while studying in Canada and get a temporary work permit in Canada after graduation.

Studies and subsequent work experience in Canada upon graduation may become your pathway to Canadian Permanent Residency. Check your prospects for applying for Canadian immigration through Canadian Experience Class on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website, or fill out the form below to schedule a consultation with an authorized associate.

You will then have to upload the necessary files online through what we call an “online submission” process. In the end, you might also be required to go through an interview at a local visa office.

Additional requirements may apply, including biometrics, proof of funds, medical exam, criminal record check etc. They may differ from one case to another.

At Jane Katkova & Associates, we have already helped hundreds of applicants to obtain their study permits. If you want to make sure that your application package is impeccable and error-free or get any other advice on higher education in Canada, please let us know.

Call us at +1 (416) 661-4487, or email us at [email protected] to learn how we can help you obtain Canadian education and ease the application process for you.

Studying in Canada

Studying in the United States

Test Preparation

Athletic Recruitment

Jane Katkova & Associates is an immigration consultant in Toronto, Ontario that provides immigration services since 1995.