What Is The Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is effectively one of the most popular immigration programs in Canada bringing dozens of thousands of immigrants to the country each year.

[ref]Notice – Supplementary Information 2018-2020 Immigration Levels Plan, Government Of Canada[/ref]In combination with Federal Skilled Trades Program and Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program is expected to bring 232,400 immigrants to Canada in 2018-2020.

This program provides an opportunity for individuals and families to immigrate to Canada if you meet FSWP Eligibility Requirements.

Federal Skilled Worker Program Requirements

Work Experience

All occupations in Canada are categorized in the National Occupational Classification, assigned a code and a skill level. You must find a NOC code that best corresponds to your work experience.

Your occupation should have NOC skill level A or B, or skill type 0.

The work experience that you claim in your application must be received within the last 10 years and be paid (volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count).

If you have been working full-time, you must have at least one year of continuous work experience (at least 30 hours a week for 12 months).

If you worked part-time, your experience must amount to at least 15 hours a week for 24 months.

Language Proficiency

Federal Skilled Worker Program applications are submitted through Express Entry system. Before you make an Express Entry profile, you must take an approved test in English and/or French language.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada accepts the results of two tests for the English language: IELTS (General Training option only) and CELPIP (General test only); and one test for the French language – TEF.

You must include the results of the test in the Express Entry profile. You should be able to score at least CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) level 7 in all four basic abilities: speaking, reading, writing, and listening.


For purposes of FSWP, you may have a secondary or post-secondary education certificate, diploma or degree.

Before you make an Express Entry profile, you should have your education credentials assessed by an approved Educational Credential Assessment agency.

After you get your diplomas assessed, you can add this information to your Express Entry profile. You will be asked to enter the results and the reference number in the Express Entry profile.

Other Selection Factors

In addition to considering your education and language abilities, the IRCC will also consider your age, a job offer (it is not compulsory but can get you good points to be selected), and provincial nomination.

There also additional adaptability factors that are not compulsory but can get you more points to your profile:

  • Language ability of your spouse/partner
  • Study experience in Canada (of yourself and/or your spouse/partner)
  • Employment experience in Canada (of yourself and/or your spouse/partner)
  • Family in Canada.

Proof Of Funds

To participate in the program, you will need to show that you have enough funds to get you settled in Canada for the first time.

You do not have to provide proof of funds if you are currently able to legally work in Canada, or if you have a job offer.

The funds you need depend on the number of family members:

1 $13,310
2 $16,570
3 $20,371
4 $24,733
5 $28,052
6 $31,638
7 $35,224
For each additional family member $3,586

This money must be readily available for use, and you should provide a certificate from a bank institution showing your name, accounts, balances and dates. Real estate can’t be used as proof of funds.

Other requirements

You should be admissible to come to Canada. You may be denied entry into Canada if:

  • You are a security risk;
  • You have committed a violation of human or international rights;
  • You have been convicted of a crime;
  • You are tied to organized crime;
  • You have a serious medical problem;
  • You are in serious financial debt;
  • You lied in your application and interview;
  • One of your family members is not allowed into Canada.

If you meet all the requirements, you may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence through Federal Skilled Worker Program. You may do it on your own,

Do contact us for help if you need it. We’ve got a special Express Entry Assist program designed specifically to streamline and smooth out your Express Entry profile to ensure that you get the maximum points that your background can give. Under Express Entry program, we can also help you prepare and file the application package correctly and error-free, so that it runs fast through the Canadian immigration system.

How we can help

We have assisted hundreds of skilled workers in becoming Canadian Permanent Residents upon meeting the program requirements. We will be glad to be of assistance in your specific situation. Please contact us for an assessment of your eligibility to apply under this program. We can also provide you with more information on other business immigration programs for Canada.

At Jane Katkova & Associates, we can do all the paperwork associated with the application for PR based on your skilled worker experience.

We will help you determine eligibility, gather the documents, pay the fees and, most importantly, complete the application forms. With 20+ years of experience behind us, we will make sure that you are all set to get your Permanent Resident status through recognition of your skilled worker experience.

Contact us for a quote, or if you have any questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a federal skilled worker?

A federal skilled worker is defined by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada as a person who has been selected based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and some other criteria that may help them become economically established in Canada.

What is a difference between skilled and unskilled labour?

A skilled worker is a worker who has special skills, education, or job experience. They may have attended an educational institution to acquire their skills or could have gotten them from their job experience. Unskilled labour occupations usually include security guards, telephone solicitors, taxi drivers, flight attendants, bartenders, and laundry operators.

Do you need a job offer to immigrate to Canada?

While a job offer can give you 50-200 points to help you rank higher in [ref]Comprehansive Ranking System Tool[/ref]Comprehensive Ranking system, you don’t have to have a job offer to immigrate to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

How many Express Entry points can I get for a job offer in Canada?

You can get 200 points if an offer is in the Group 00 of the National Occupational Classification:

  • 0011 Legislators
  • 0012 Senior government managers and officials
  • 0013 Senior managers – financial, communications and other business services
  • 0014 Senior managers – health, education, social and community services and membership organizations
  • 0015 Senior managers – trade, broadcasting and other services not elsewhere classified.
  • 0016 Senior managers – construction, transportation, production, and utilities

You are getting 50 points if a job offer is in any other NOC group.

How do I apply to immigrate to Canada as a provincial nominee?

Get an overview of provincial nomination programs (PNPs) at our Provincial Nominee Programs page.

How can find my National Occupational Classification (NOC) code?

Use the “Find your NOC” page of the Government of Canada website.

Related Article:

How To Start A Business In Canada.