Congratulations! You have made one of the most important decisions of your life: to pursue an education in the United States of America. In case you change your mind, you can get a study permit in Canada as well.

Studying in the United States can be a rewarding, invaluable experience in your life or the life of your children. The American education system offers a rich field of options for international and local students. There are numerous world-renowned schools, programs, and locations to choose from.

We will help you become familiarized with the American education system, narrow your choices, develop your educational plan, and assist in enrolling into your selected school or university, including Ivy League colleges.

Boarding Schools in the United States

Colleges / Universities

Ivy League Education

Postgraduate Studies

Specialty Programs

English as a Second Language (ESL)

Summer Camp

Visas and Student Permits

Boarding Schools in the United States

We understand the importance of choosing the right education for your children. This is why we help our client families select an appropriate American boarding school for their child and assist you through the application process. When selecting the correct school for your child, we will consider the factors that are important to you, such as whether the school is top independent, prep, private, public, Catholic, therapeutic, special education, military, co-educational, all boys or all girls, with opportunities for athletic/sports, IB or AP programming (we also consult on day options).

Firstly, our services will assist with the selection of the best-suited college-preparatory boarding school for your child. College-preparatory boarding schools offer a rigorous academic curriculum, an array of extra-curricular activities and sports to prepare the students for the post-secondary education. These schools are divided by age/grade:

  • Junior boarding schools: Grade 5 to Grade 8 or 9.
  • Boarding high schools: Grades 9 through 12, some include Grade 13 or Post-Graduate Year.

Within both junior and high school college-preparatory boarding schools, there are additional distinctions:

  • All-boys or all-girls boarding schools: while fewer in number, there are a number of single-sex boarding schools in the USA.
  • Military schools: these boarding schools also prepare students for college life, with an addition of military-type discipline and structure.
  • Pre-professional arts schools: these schools specialize in helping students train and become artists in a variety of fields such as music, visual arts, theater, ballet, and creative writing. Students are prepared for entrance into either traditional colleges or specialty schools, such as music conservatories and revered art institutions, e.g. Juilliard.
  • Religious boarding schools: these schools have an emphasis on a particular religion and corresponding spiritual growth.
  • Additional IB or AP curriculum;
  • Therapeutic Boarding Schools;
  • Assistance for kids with learning disabilities;
  • English as a Second Language (ESL) Support.

*While the top college-preparatory schools require a good command of English, as they do not offer ESL-based classes or curriculum for non-English speakers, there are some schools that do offer ESL supplementary programs. Please note: all schools require TOEFL testing for students who attend a non-English speaking school at present.

We offer the following services to assist you in enrolling your child or children in an American boarding school:

  • We will carefully and knowledgeably advise you on school selection, conduct comprehensive tours of American residential/boarding schools, and guide you through the application process and enrollment for domestic and international students.
  • During the application process, we will keep you abreast of all the deadlines (including submitting recommendations, SSAT testing, English proficiency testing, interview prep, submitting transcripts, etc.). We will advise you on the wait-list process, accepting/declining the offer, and overall enrollment.
  • We will assist you with understanding not just the process, but also the costs of education and what is included. We will guide you in accessing and understanding your student’s school account, required forms, and billing system.
  • We will provide academic counseling on high school careers: applying, testing, making credit (subject) selection, collecting out-of-country credits and recording them in the student’s educational profile.
  • We will coordinate the transition from your current school to the new one, including course/credit selection for the upcoming school year, Code of Conduct, purchasing books, dorm supplies, sporting equipment, etc.
  • We will assist the student and the family at their request with the transition period in settling into the new school routine and will communicate with the school during the academic year to monitor the student’s progress.

Please note: your chosen boarding school must be an SEVP-certified school in order for the student to be able to receive a Student Visa (F-1) and study in the United States as a SEVIS student.

Contact us today to learn how we can be of assistance in selecting and enrolling your child in American boarding school.

Colleges / Universities

The post-secondary admission process for Ivy and top American colleges and universities is very competitive and complex. It is important to start the process early (as soon as the beginning of the year prior to the year of admission) and we are here to guide you with the following assistance:

  • We will provide academic counseling on the selection of the most suitable programs for the student (as per grades, budget, preferences, immigration goals, if any, and location), including post-secondary programs (any duration), bachelors, law, medical/dental schools, Teacher’s College, career change and advancement, MBA, postgraduate programs, and continuing education.
  • We will guide you through the test maze and consult on Academic/Secondary School Admission/College/University Admission Tests: SSAT, ISEE, PSAT, SAT and SAT Subject Test (Sat I – with or without Writing – and Sat II), and ACT.
  • We will counsel you on the specifications of writing the English Proficiency Tests: IELTS, TOEFL, and give you information on the required scores for admission.
  • We will provide Essay Advising (including topic selection, structure, originality, vocabulary, and readability, also WOW factor) for USA boarding schools, Ivy League colleges/colleges/universities.
  • We will provide extensive Interview counseling and conduct mock interviews, including MMI-based.
  • We will advise you on the process of obtaining Letters of Recommendation and, if needed, on how to write the Motivational Letters.
  • We provide High School career counseling/academic remedies: assisting in credit course selection, extra curricular activities, sports; academic remedies (including additional Credit Courses and Repeats), analyzing tests and guiding on necessary scores for boarding schools, Ivy Leagues, and other top American colleges and universities.

If you would like to receive personalized counsel for studying in the US, please contact us today. 

Ivy League Education

The Ivy League institutions are well known and highly regarded all over the world. The admission process for international students for undergraduate or postgraduate programs at an Ivy League institution is extremely competitive and complex. We can guide you through the admission procedures, including EA, ED, SCEA, RD for undergraduates, and consult on graduate admissions.

We will advise you on:

  • Required high school credits/subjects;
  • Required knowledge tests (SAT, SAT II, ACT);
  • Required English proficiency tests (TOEFL, IELTS);
  • Required transcripts and evaluation procedures;
  • Using the online application systems;
  • Required recommendation letters;
  • Extracurricular activities and sports;
  • Personal statements and essays.

We recommend starting the process far in advance – at least 2 grades in advance prior to the desired year of undergraduate admission.

If you would like to receive assistance and personalized counsel for studying in the US, please contact us today.

Postgraduate Studies

Postgraduate studies are offered at a variety of academic institutions in the USA. Postgraduate programs offer an opportunity to pursue a specific field of studies for applicants who have already completed a bachelor degree or equivalent. Programs offered include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Master’s Programs (1-2 years or more);
  • MBA (1+ years – an undergraduate degree is not required for certain mature students);
  • PhD (2+ years) in a similar field of studies as the applicant’s acquired master’s degree;
  • Postgraduate Diploma Programs (1+ years).

Qualified candidates are offered grants and teaching assistant positions to offset the cost of the education and living expenses.

We can assist you in selecting and enrolling in a postgraduate program. Our services include:

  • Choosing a college (post-secondary) or university (including transfers and postgraduate studies);
  • Assisting in selecting an appropriate program based on academic record, knowledge of English, interests, and career goals;
  • Assisting with the admissions and application process, including entrance essay guidance;
  • Assisting with testing: GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc.;
  • Assisting with TOEFL or IELTS Prep;
  • Arranging and conducting campus tours;
  • Arranging and assisting with meeting the college or university admissions team/director(s);
  • Arranging student accommodation (including home-stay or dormitory);
  • Arranging (if required) medical insurance;
  • Complete visa support.

If you would like to receive assistance and individualized counsel on studying in the US, please contact us today.

Specialty Programs

A Doctor of Medicine degree typically requires four years of undergraduate studies, three to four years of medical school, and a passing grade in the country’s medical licensing examination. Upon concluding classroom studies, graduates must then complete residencies where they choose their area of specialty.

In the US, to obtain education as a medical doctor or a dentist, you will first need to complete a bachelor’s degree (four years minimum) and apply for the chosen medical school. We will assist you with the comprehensive process of selecting the right medical school/program for your needs in America.

In order to apply for law school and a Doctor of Law (law degree) in America, a student must first complete at least three to four years of an undergraduate bachelor’s degree program. We will assist you with the selection of an appropriate law school in Canada or the United States, advise on LSAT testing, GPA admissions, interviews, application paperwork and process.

We provide personalized service and advice, working closely with you to pave a path that will help you achieve your goals. Ask us today about available programs in the US! Contact Us to learn more.

English as a Second Language (ESL)

America is known for its extensive selection of English as a Second Language programming for kids, teens, and adults. We can assist you in identifying the best possible program for your summer learning, year-long studies, or after-work instruction, as based on your education goals.

We have experience in placing our clients in a wide array of specialized programs, including:

  • General English;
  • ESL Classes;
  • Summer ESL for kids and teens;
  • Academic English;
  • TESOL;
  • Business English;
  • English for medical professionals;
  • Specialty classes (e.g. mining workers);

We can assist you in finding the right program to learn or improve your English in the USA:

  • Kids and teens summer ESL programs with dormitory or home-stay options;
  • Academic high school credit ESL programs in boarding schools and summer programs;
  • Year-round adult learning;
  • Parent and child classes;
  • Specialized courses: business, nursing, law, IELTS test prep, etc.;
  • Pathway courses to enter the college or university.

Contact us today to schedule an appointment to learn more about your ESL education options.

Summer Camp

Would you like your child or teen to enjoy the unique experience of summer in America? We can recommend day or residential camps that offer different activities and range in themes.

  • Choosing a summer camp or English learning Classes, filling out the application form (s), preparing all the necessary documents;
  • Complete visa support;
  • Arranging and conducting campus tours;
  • Assisting with billing;
  • Arranging for transportation to and from camp/airport;
  • Arranging for a home stay family;
  • Arranging for special accommodation (with a friend);
  • Arranging for Medical Insurance;
  • Guardianship Services in USA (for minors under 18 years of age);
  • Travel arrangements;
  • Assisting in communicating with the administration;
  • Providing information and consulting services on Boarding School, Post-secondary College or University pathways and placement during studying in the English Language Program;
  • Additional cultural/sports Activities Program (by request);
  • Dedicated support line (phone and e-mail) for Student and Parents.

If you would like to receive personalized counsel on the available options for your child or teen, contact us today.

Visas and Student Permits

Once our clients are accepted by and enrolled into the educational institution of their choice, Jane Katkova & Associates can provide assistance in obtaining the necessary F-1 Visa (or B-1/B-2 Visa) that will permit the student to legally study in the country.

Student Acceptance at a SEVP Approved School (F-1) Visa Procedure:

Before you can apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an F or M student visa, you must first apply to and be accepted by a SEVP-approved school.

  • When the U.S. school you plan to attend accepts you, you will be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). You must pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee.
  • The U.S. school will provide you with a Form I-20 to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.

New Students – F-1 and M-1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days before the start date of your studies, but you will not be allowed to enter the United States via F-1 or M-1 status earlier than 30 days before your start date.

Continuing Students – may renew their visas at any time, as long as they have maintained student status and their SEVIS records are up to date. Continuing students may enter the United States at any time before their classes start.

How to Apply for a U.S. Study Visa

There are several steps involved in applying for a study visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply.

  1. Complete the Online Non-immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160.
    • Upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160; your photo must be in the proper format.
    • Print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview (if you need one);
    • Schedule an interview (if you require one) at the USA Embassy/Consulate in the country of your residence and prepare.
    • Pay a non-refundable visa application fee, $160 USD, if you are required to pay it before your interview. When your visa is approved, you may also pay a visa issuance fee, if applicable to your nationality.
  1. Gather and prepare the following required documents prior to your visa interview.
    • Passport valid for travel to the United States – your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements);
    • Required Documents (depending on your program of study):
      • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) student status:
      • For Academic and Language Students:
        • Form I-20A-B or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1);
      • For Vocational Students:
        • Form I-20M-N: your school will send you a SEVIS-generated Form I-20 once they have entered your information in the SEVIS database. You and your school official must sign the Form I-20;
      • Additional documents may be required.
        • Academic preparation:
          • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended; and
          • Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school.
        • Immigration: your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study.
        • Financials: how you will pay for educational, living and travel costs.
  1. Attend Your Visa Interview (if required).
    • During your visa interview, a consular officer will determine whether you are qualified to receive a study visa.
    • Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken as part of your application process. They are usually taken during your interview, but this varies based on location.
    • After your visa interview, your application may require further administrative processing.
    • When the visa is approved, you may pay a visa issuance fee if applicable to your nationality and will be informed of how your passport containing the new visa will be returned to you.

Contact us today to learn more about studying in the United States and applying for a student visa.