British Colombia Immigration News
Skilled workers, international graduates, and entrepreneurs have been invited to submit an application to the British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) in early August, following draws that took place on August 2 and August 9.
The invited candidates are now in a position to submit their BC PNP provincial nomination application through one of the enhanced sub-categories aligned with the federal Express Entry selection system. When these candidates receive a BC PNP nomination certificate, they will receive 600 additional points under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) and an Invitation To Apply (ITA) at a subsequent draw from the pool. It should be noted that the ITA with respect to the BC PNP is not the same as the ITA issued at the federal Express Entry level. The remaining skilled worker and graduates invitees will have their applications for permanent residence processed outside Express Entry after they receive a nomination from BC.
Read more about Express Entry Draw.
The early August BC PNP activity also included a ‘tech-only’ draw, a new initiative started by BC last May.
Eligible individuals interested in applying for immigration to Canada through certain categories of the BC PNP, are required to enter into the Skills Immigration Registration System (SIRS) pool. Candidates are assigned points score upon entry into the pool. This score is based on:
– civil status,
– work experience.
In addition to these SIRS-based categories, a total of 13 candidates were invited under the BC Entrepreneur immigration stream.
Minimum score required for different categories:
EEBC – Skilled Worker – 77 points
EEBC – International Graduate – 75 points
SI – Skilled Worker – 77 points
SI – International Graduate – 75 points
SI – Entry Level and Semi-Skille – 45 points
Entrepreneur Immigration – 123 points
IMMIGRATION PROGRAMS PROVIDED BY BRITISH COLUMBIA:
- Express Entry BC – Skilled Worker category is for international skilled workers who have post-secondary education or training and employment experience in a professional, management, technical, trade or other skilled occupation. Candidates must be eligible to enter the federal Express Entry pool. A successful application under this category results in the candidate receiving 600 points under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) and a subsequent ITA at the federal level.
- International graduates who have graduated from a Canadian university or college within the past two years may be eligible to apply under the Express Entry BC – International Graduate category. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT this category is opened to eligible graduates who graduated from a university or college in any location in Canada; it is not restricted to graduates from BC universities and colleges. This category is also aligned with the federal Express Entry system.
- Skilled Worker- this category is opened to workers with post-secondary education or training and employment experience in a skilled occupation. A job offer is required.
- International Graduate
- Skills Immigration ( Entry Level and Semi-Skilled) – this category is opened to candidates who may not be eligible for other Canadian immigration programs, as it allows certain non-skilled workers to apply for permanent residence. Candidates must work in an eligible occupation within the tourism/hospitality, long-haul trucking, or food processing industries, or in a NOC skill level C or D occupation in the Northeast Development Region of the province.
- Entrepreneur Immigration – this stream provides a pathway to Canadian permanent residence for experienced business people who can establish themselves in BC and invest in and operate a commercially viable business that can provide significant benefits to the provincial economy. Successful applicants will obtain a work permit and, if the business operation in BC fulfills the requirements of the stream on an ongoing basis, they will be able to apply for permanent residence in Canada through the BC PNP.