Police Certificates and Express Entry Completeness Checks


POLICE CERTIFICATESThis update may affect individuals who receive an Invitation To Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residence through Express Entry.

Language revisions were made to clarify the text, and under Exceptional circumstances, the instructions have been changed to reflect that clients are required to provide both proof of having requested a police certificate and an explanation of their best efforts to produce a police certificate before the 60-day deadline after the ITA has been issued. These Exceptional circumstances are outlined below.

In addition, the instructions have been revised to reflect that police certificates are required up front and are mandatory for each country where an individual has lived for six months or more in total, not necessarily in a row.

Document requirements For Police Certificates

For the applicant’s current country of residence, the police certificate must have been issued no more than six months before the submission of the e-application.

For countries in which the applicant no longer resides, the police certificate must have been issued after the departure date of the last time the client resided in that country for more than six months.

Police certificates are required up front and are mandatory for each country (except Canada) where an individual has lived for a total of six months or more. This instruction is for the purpose of the completeness check. However, it is always at an officer’s discretion to request a new or additional police certificate.

Some countries require that the applicant complete a consent form to initiate a police certificate. The form is then uploaded (with any other police certificates the applicant may provide) as part of the e-application. If the application is not rejected as incomplete, the processing office will assess the consent form and electronic file and initiate the police certificate.

In exceptional circumstances, IRCC may accept proof of having requested a police certificate for such countries; and an explanation of best efforts (not a guarantee of acceptance). The applicant should explain the delay in a document and upload the document. The uploaded document must show that the applicant requested a police certificate as soon as possible after receiving their Invitation to Apply.



  1. Carrol November 16, 2017 at 8:02 pm - Reply

    If I am currently studying in Canada but I am an Indian citizen do I have to submit both police clearance certificate from India and canada

  2. Irena Lasker November 21, 2017 at 6:34 pm - Reply

    Hello Carrol,
    Yes, you will need to submit your police certificate from India.
    Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information and clarification.

  3. Sherry April 14, 2018 at 2:58 pm - Reply

    Recently, again there have been text revisions made and now the words “in a row” are back. So you need to get a police certificate only if you have lived for 6 months or more in a row.

    I lived and worked in UAE for about 11 months. I however, never lived there for 6 months IN A ROW since I left the country for short time in between. Do I need to get a police certificate?

    • Support April 25, 2018 at 3:49 pm - Reply

      Hi Sherry,
      One of our specialists will contact you shortly by email.

  4. Chu Mei Lim May 11, 2018 at 4:10 am - Reply

    Hi, where do I go to upload the police certificate? I can’t find the “view checklist” button on the IRCC homepage.

  5. Maryam October 28, 2018 at 6:20 pm - Reply


    I have been residing in the UAE for my whole life but I am an Iranian citizen. However, I have never lived in Iran and I have only visited Iran for weeks at a time. My duration of visits to Iran have never accumulated up to 6 months. Would I require a police certificate from Iran?

    • Support November 8, 2018 at 5:25 pm - Reply

      Maryam, please email/ call us directly and our immigration specialists will contact you directly.

  6. Jessica February 13, 2019 at 3:47 am - Reply


    I stayed in a country for 6-7 months but during that period I had been in and out of the country. When counting the exact number of days, it won’t reach 180 days but if you take the start date and end date, it will exceed 180 days. Do I need to ask for the police certificate for this country?

    More over, if I stayed in one country for 175 days, should I ask for the police certificate too since it is close to 180 days?

    • Support February 15, 2019 at 3:30 pm - Reply

      Thank you for your comment, Jessica.
      Please contact us directly and one of our immigration specialists will help you directly.

Leave A Comment

canadian immigration experts logo

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list receive updates and for a chance to WIN A FREE 30 MINUTES CONSULTATION.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest