Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is one of the three immigration programs covered by Express Entry application processing system.

This program gives you an opportunity to apply for Canadian permanent residence via fast-track Express Entry application management system.

If you have a job offer or a Canadian certificate in one of the trades listed below, you might be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada under FSTP.

According to 2017-2020 immigration plan figures published by the Government of Canada, intake under Federal Skilled Trades Program is set to rise.

Federal Skilled Trades Program Requirements

You must:

  • know English (CLB level 5 for speaking and listening, CLB level 4 for reading and writing) or French language (NCLC level 5 for speaking and listening, NCLC level 4 for reading and writing);
  • have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or its part-time equivalent) in a skilled trade within the period of 5 years before you apply;
  • have an offer of full-time employment for the period of at least one year OR a certificate of qualification in your skilled trade that was issued by a Canadian province, federal or territorial authority;
  • be ready to demonstrate the skills and experience as required by your skilled trade.

NOC groups of eligible skilled trades:

  • Industrial, electrical and construction workers[ref]major group 72[/ref]
  • maintenance and equipment operation workers[ref]major group 73[/ref]
  • supervisors and technical workers in natural resources, agriculture and related production[ref]major group 82[/ref]
  • processing, manufacturing and utility supervisors and central control operators[ref]major group 92[/ref]
  • chefs and cooks[ref]minor group 632[/ref]
  • butchers and bakers.[ref]minor group 633[/ref]

Other requirements

You don’t have to meet any requirements in terms of education, but it might be a good idea to complete an assessment of your credentials by an eligible assessment authority like World Education Services.

You must also be admissible to Canada and plan to live and work outside the province of Quebec.

Job Offer Based Immigration

Canadian Employers

Are you interested in bringing skilled and experienced talent to Canada? We can help you find the right person. With our large pool of candidates, you can tap into global talent easily and quickly. Kindly contact us for more details.

Interested Candidates

Are you an expert in your field? Do you consider immigration to Canada? Complete our free assessment. We will get back to you within 1-2 business days.

How we can help

We have assisted hundreds of skilled trades people in becoming Canadian Permanent Residents upon meeting the program requirements. We will be glad to be of assistance in your specific situation. Please contact us for an assessment of your eligibility to apply under this program.

At Jane Katkova & Associates, we can do all the paperwork associated with the application for PR based on your skilled trade experience.

We will help you determine eligibility, gather the documents, pay the fees and, most importantly, complete the application forms. With 20+ years of experience behind us, we will make sure that you are all set to get your Permanent Resident status through recognition of your skilled trade experience.

Contact us for a quote, or if you have any questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a skilled trade?

A skilled trade is a labor job that requires specific training, such as an electrician, a tile setter, or a mason.

What is a certificate of qualification for a trade occupation?

This certificate proves that a person is qualified to work at a skilled trade in Canada. You may receive this certificate after you have passed an appropriate certification exam.

How can I get the certificate to recognize my trade if I am currently abroad?

You will likely have to go to a Canadian province or territory to sit a certification exam. It is also possible that you will have to get through some training before you are allowed to sit for an exam.