Work Permit In Canada

How to Change or Extend Work Permit Conditions

You come to work to Canada, and at some point in time, you realize that you have to switch to a new employer. There are many reasons for that: you don’t like how you are being treated, you are not content with your salary etc.

Or, alternatively, you work permit is about to expire, and you need to extend it. So, what you should know and what steps you need to take. Let’s find out.

In most cases, in such situations you must apply online and fees start from CAD 155. Processing time is 96 days, and you should apply to extend or change conditions of your work permit 30 days before expiration of your current work permit.

Watch for validity of your passport, as you can’t extend the work permit beyond the validity of the passport.

You may request the following changes to your work permit – the type of work that you do, the employer, the location of your work. You must also apply to change conditions of your work permit if your job is extended, there is a change in your pay, or you have new responsibilities.

You cannot start working for a new employer or for an old employer with new conditions until you get a new work permit with new conditions.

Before you apply

Before you apply to change the conditions of your work permit to a new employer, your employer must obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada / Service Canada.

If you don’t need an LMIA, your employer must submit a job offer to IRCC using the Employer Portal and pay the employer compliance fee.

Open work permits

If you have an open work permit, you may switch between employers, and you don’t have to change your work permit conditions. However, you do need to extend your open-work permit, if it’s about to expire.

When you are paying for an open work permit, remember to pay both the work permit fee (CAD 155) and open work permit holder fee (CAD 100).

After application

If your application is approved, you will either get an extension to your existing work permit or a new work permit specifying the new conditions of your work. If it takes more than 96 days to process your application, it is possible to make inquiries with IRCC to learn the status of your file.

Implied status

If you applied at least 30 days before expiration of your current work permit and your work permit expired while you were waiting for your application to be approved, you may continue to stay in Canada.

You are on so-called implied status, until you get a decision on your work permit application. However, you cannot work in Canada until you get a new or changed work permit from the government.

Expired Work Permit

If your work permit expired before you applied, in some cases you may apply to restore your status as a worker.

If this is the case, you must apply within 90 days from the time your work permit expired. You must have met the conditions of your expired work permit and meet the requirements of your stay, to be eligible.

Your fees will include work permit fee (CAD 155) and restoration fee (CAD 200). If you are on expired open work permit, you will have to pay additional CAD of open work permit holder fee.

On your application, you will have to explain why you violated the deadlines. There is no guarantee that your application will be approved, so you need to be convincing.

Employer Requirements

Employee Requirements

Workforce Mobility Brochure

Let Us Help You With Work Permit In Canada

Jane Katkova & Associates is an immigration consultant in Toronto, Ontario that, provides immigration services in Canada since 1995.