Francophone Mobility Program: Leverage Your French to Come to Canada



Work Permit For French Speakers

If you speak French and want to apply for a job that involves speaking French in a province other than Quebec then the Francophone Mobility Program is for you.

Usually, when foreign workers come to work to Canada, their prospective employers must file a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application.

LMIAs are issued by Employment and Social Development Canada. In general, the purpose of LMIA is to ensure that hiring a foreign worker will not affect the Canadian employment market adversely.

Not everyone can qualify for an LMIA, and there is cost to it – LMIA application fee is $ 1,000. There are cases, though, when an LMIA is not required from a temporary worker.

As one example, you don’t need an LMIA if you have a Francophone Mobility Program. This permit is issued only if you are hired for a job requiring the knowledge of French outside the province of Quebec.

Francophone MobilityProgram, also known as Mobilité Francophone, was launched on the 1st of June 2016 with a purpose of promoting the use of French language outside Quebec and promote francophone immigration in francophone minority communities.

The program targets French-speaking foreign workers who fall under National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A, or B occupations. Skill level 0 is Management jobs; level A – Professional jobs; level B – Technical jobs and skilled trades.

So, typically, you would need to graduate from a college/university, or complete apprenticeship courses to be able to apply.

As part of the application process, you might be asked to take an assessment of French to prove your proficiency. If it is not clear, you might be additionally required to take Test d’Evaluation Du Français (TEF) with a result of 7 or higher on Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) system.

A nice bonus of Francophone Mobility Program is that you can bring your family along! If your offer of employment exceeds six months, your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a Work Permit without a confirmed job offer. Moreover, your school-age children may apply for a Study Permit without a letter of admission!

In the past, one of the challenging parts to this Work Permit was the requirement to be recruited through a “francophone immigration promotional event coordinated between the federal government and francophone minority communities.”

However, in September 2017 this requirement was lifted. It is still encouraged to seek a francophone immigration promotional event, but no longer obligatory.

Why would Canada encourage francophone immigration to provinces other than Quebec? Well, for one, it strengthens the multicultural aspect of Canadian society, and it also respects the country’s bilingual characteristic.

We can represent your interests

At Jane Katkova & Associates, we have more than 20 years of experience in bringing people to Canada under immigration programs of all kinds, including services to temporary workers.

Canadian Immigration Experts

At Jane Katkova & Associates we are Canadian Immigration Experts. For assistance with the Francophone Mobility Program contact our office: call us at (416) 661-4487, or email us at [email protected].

Related Articles:

2018-12-27T02:45:56+00:00 December 26th, 2018|


  1. Tariq June 23, 2018 at 5:54 am - Reply


    I am Tariq and would be interested for Francophone mobility work program.

    I have done my Masters in English, WES Report available, IELTS cleared Clb level 7, my brother, sister and mother are Canadian citizen. My age is 42 years.

    Could you please call me on +91 – 9986906428. I am from India. Let us discuss the feasible options.


    • Support June 26, 2018 at 5:52 pm - Reply

      Hello Tariq, the best way to reach us is by phone or email.
      Regards, Support.

  2. monsif March 10, 2019 at 1:08 pm - Reply

    hello , i am monsif from Morocco
    i am a temporary foreign worker in alberta , i am married with 2 kids
    can Apply for permanent resident

    • Support March 20, 2019 at 4:02 pm - Reply

      Hello Monsif,
      Thank you for your comment.
      Please contact us directly by either filling out a form or calling us and one of our immigration specialists will help you.

  3. Mohamed May 9, 2019 at 11:04 am - Reply


    Myself Mohamed i am interested for francophone mobility work program,i’m holding BA in english and cook diplomat.
    I can speak good french as well.
    I look to hear from you shortly.

    Thank you

    • support May 17, 2019 at 1:28 pm - Reply

      Hi Mohamed, please contact us directly using a form, email, or call us and one of our representatives would be glad to assist you.

Leave A Comment

canadian immigration experts logo

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list receive updates and for a chance to WIN A FREE 30 MINUTES CONSULTATION.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest